Monday, March 19, 2012

More than an Open (Love) Letter



Someone told me he prefers an open (love) letter. This is my blog, some of the entries here are love letters (sort of). I don’t know if he knows that this blog exists. This whole blog is not just a letter, rather an open book.



Writing is a talent I had perfected since I was in elementary days. My father was a seaman. But unlike other seaman who sees their work as a profession, my father did not see it that way. He viewed his work as a means to earn more. So he’ll work for 2 straight years abroad, saved some money. Returned here in the Philippines, invested that money to any business that he liked, which most of the time goes bankrupt (I don’t why) and then go back again for work abroad. His earnings were the one we used to finance our college education. My mother’s salary was not enough.



Mama urged as always to write letters. She told us that life abroad is difficult. So that when Papa was not that busy He had something to read; to remind him of home. So write we did. My youngest sister, on her letters, would even tell stories about her pet dogs and cats. My parent’s sacrifices had been the catalyst for us to strive more. We knew that education was our way out of poverty. We did not let our parents down. My father is now a retired seaman, my mother soon to be a retired government employee. And us their daughters are all employed and have our own careers. Our parents’ sacrifices had been our inspiration.




Only a few had the time to write now. There’s internet, and it had made our world smaller. Communicating with our love ones is a lot easier.

Why I prefer writing here? One reason, I could easily preview my work prior to publication. Blogspot is a writer’s world. And editing is easier. Unlike on facebook, once you posted it on the wall, you can no longer edit it.

Not all people have the maturity to accept that some will share their life on a blog like this. Only a few will prefer an open “love letter”. It’s like telling the whole world that if you had the talent why not express it. It’s useless if you just keep it. God gave it to you so better make use of it. I write not just to document the events of the day but also to share my ideas. My grandparents are good story tellers, some of those stories died with them. So if we don’t write it, publish and share our stories it’s totally pointless. Not all of us walk the same path. Our stories and experiences differ from each other.

I like him a lot, the one who prefers to live life openly.  It’s a sign of maturity, to accept life’s struggles. To admit to the whole world that one makes mistakes. He inspires me to write again and use that talent to inspire people. He had been a very good friend. I did not ask, but He came.Deo Gratias!

(I've edited some parts, the advantage of blogger.. april 30, 2012) 

No comments: