Sunday, March 25, 2012

Drawn to A Furnace



The moth was attracted to the flame. Mother moth told her, “Stay away or you’ll get burned.” As usual, she had a mind of her own, she said, “Moths die anyway, I want to give my life to that flame”.

Little by little she goes near the lamp. Observing every now and then how the flame danced as it flickers it’s light. The warmth was so comforting, and she said to herself, I don’t mind if I get burned.

She knows too, something separates her from the flame. A glass barrier and she never understood how such a barrier exists. Maybe she told herself, for the flame to continue burning, to prevent it from being extinguished from the strong wind.

She can fly, enter the flame through the opening, but she knows that’s a stupid thing to do. Not her character to rush and do things in haste. She’d done that then, and she failed her purpose. She is a very patient moth.

She almost got burned once. But up to that point that she had to fly near the flame she had changed her mind. A very close call, maybe she’s scared after all. She’s just pretending to be fearless but the truth is she’ll be first one to run when it’s time to go. The flame then run out of gas and had stopped burning.

And then, here she is again. She is planning to give her life to another flame, a hotter furnace, brighter lamp and a special kind of fuel. This time she told herself, I will not be scared.  Patiently she’s waiting for the glass barrier to be removed. The master will remove it, she’s confident of that.

I’ll wait, she said, it’s a chance in a lifetime. I’ll give my life to that flame, I won’t mind if I’ll lose my life that way. At least I had done something that only 10% of the moth population had ever done. This is to offer one’s life without asking anything in return. It may be stupid for some, but my story will live on.

The flame will notice that, this I know, that for the whole time that it keeps on burning, one moth had the courage to go beyond what others never did. And for the flame, that moth will always be very special, the only moth who is willing to give her life for him. God is good, the flame said, finally a moth meant for him. He’s glad he waited.

No comments: